Missy and I were talking this afternoon, and part of the discussion turned to the music I was listening to… namely, a playlist of music from Overclocked Remix. For those not in the know, Overclocked Remix is a site dedicated to remixing video game music. Some of the stuff is ehh, but there is a lot of truly excellent work in there. I promised I’d send her an email with my favorites, but I decided to just go ahead and publish it here so others can get a peek. Keep in mind that these are not ALL my favorites, but just ones I picked off the top of my head from browsing the site. So, here goes…
- Chronos Trigger Spekkio the Brave by Spekkosaurus – Eh… not a real fave, but it has bagpipes, which Missy should like…
- Final Fantasy Stronghold of Chaos by DarkCecil13 – This is a beautiful orchestral version of the FF battle music.
- Final Fantasy 6 KefkaGoesWest by NoppZ
- Final Fantasy 6 Squaresoft Variation by Jeremy Soule – This is a beautiful orchestration of Terra’s theme submitted by the man who composed the music for Icewind Dale.
- Final Fantasy 6 Terra in Black by Ailsean – The guitar work alone makes this track worth it.
- Mega Man 3 IntroJazz by Zoltan Vegvari – Just as it sounds… a great jazz version of the intro music to Mega Man 3.
- Metal Gear Solid 2 Metal Gear May Cry (Remastered) by Jared Hudson – This is the theme to MGS2 with thematic material from Devil May Cry thrown in, resulting in a very heroic/blockbusterish theme. I like.
- Metroid To Brinstar by Avien – This is a beautiful orchestral arrangement of the main and Brinstar themes from Metroid. I understand Avien passed away nearly a year ago; based on the works I’ve heard, the world lost a great composer.
- Ninja Gaiden Death of a Legend by Russell Cox – I seem to have a thing for orchestral arrangements. Here, it works beautifully… very haunting.
- Panzer Dragoon Orta More Than a Weapon by MC and SuperGreenX – A nice mix of the original orchestral version and a dance/drum beat.
- River City Ransom RiverCityRammstein by Mazedude – My friend RivetSPOOn tells me this isn’t quite a Rammstein sound, but it still does really rock.
- Super Mario Bros. 2 SuperBuckJazz by Estradasphere – SMB2 outside stage music + professional jazz band = win.
- Super Mario World Super Mario’s Sleigh Ride by the OneUp Mushrooms – If I were to tell you Christmas music and Super Mario music blends flawlessly, you’d think I was nuts. I wouldn’t blame you. This track, however, proves that they DO blend flawlessly.
- Super Metroid All the World in One Girl and One Girl in All the World by the Wingless – Both of these are separate variations on the Brinstar red theme, and are very catchy and enjoyable.
- Super Metroid Brinstar (DreamsInRed) by Children of the Monkey Machine, K. Praslowicz, and Beatdrop – Another rendition of the Brinstar Red theme; however, this one is a bit more faithful to the original.
- Super Metroid MegaDance Mix 2002 by MIDIman – This is a nice dance version of the main Super Metroid theme.
- Super Metroid Zebesian Midnight by Vigilante – This name is actually something of a lie, as while the first half is the Brinstar red theme, the second half is the Kraid’s base theme from the original Metroid. Still, it’s a nice “night out” type piece.
… and that’s just a taste. I actually have something like 1200 OC Remixes downloaded, not including the three collaborative projects based on Super Metroid, Donkey Kong Country, and Sonic the Hedgehog 2. (I downloaded them in bulk via BitTorrent.) If you’re interested, just head over to http://www.ocremix.org/ and check them out.